Built Cultural Heritage


Church in Felsőszölnök

sacred architecture

9985 Felsőszölnök, Templom u. 9.

14th century

The chapel of Felsőszölnök, named after St. John the Baptist is known from the 14th century (1377). We can read about the restoration of the church in the 1794 visitation report. In 1915 it consisted of a lower part and a taller part, surrounded by a wooden fence, its tower covered with shingles and the church covered with tiles. In 1938, the old church was partially demolished and enlarged. The 34th Eucharistic World Congress was held in Budapest at that time. Two glass windows and the paintings in the dome commemorate this event. Above the sanctuary there is a Slovenian inscription: Hvalite gospoda vsi narodi. (All nations shall praise the Lord.) The church exterior was renovated in 2019.

Information on digitization

Name of site
Felsőszölnök/Gornji Senik
Other settlement names
FelsőSzőlnek, OberZeming, FelsőSzőlnők, Felsö-Szőmek, Soelnek, Felschoe-Soelnek, Ober-Zening, FelsőSzölnök, FelsöSzőlnők, GornySzűnűk, FelsöSzölnök, Szölnök, Szölnök, Felső-Szölnök, Ober- Zemming, GornyiSzinik
Main building material
brick
Location
9985 Felsőszölnök, Templom u. 9.
Persons or organizations tied to history of unit of built cultural tradition
Keresztelő Szent János a védőszentje
Specialist description
A 14. századtól (1377) ismeretes a felsőszölnöki – Keresztelő Szent Jánosról elnevezett – kápolna. 1794-ben már templom felújításáról olvashatunk a vizitációs jegyzőkönyvben. 1915-ben egy alacsonyabb és egy magasabb részből állt, tornya fazsindellyel, a templom pedig cseréppel volt fedve. Boronafalú kerítés vette körbe. 1938-ban a régi templomot részben lebontották, majd megnagyobbították. A külsőleg elkészült templomot 1938. november 20-án szentelték fel. Belső festésére csak a II. világháború után(1966-67) került sor. Takács István (1901-1985) festőművész a frissen felhordott nedves vakolatra „al fresco” eljárással festette a kupola mennyezetére az utolsó vacsorát, kánai menyegzőt, az elsőáldozást és az úrnapi körmenetet. A festmények az 1938. évi budapesti 34. Eucharisztikus Világkongresszusra utalnak, valamint két üvegablak a szentélyben. A kupola négy sarkában állnak: Cirill és Metod szláv apostolok, Szent Hermagorasz és Szent Fortunatus (sv. Mohor in Fortunat). A főoltárképen Jézus halála látható. A szentély felett szlovén felirat olvasható: Hvalite gospoda vsi narodi. (Dícsérje az Urat minden nép.) 2019-ben kívülről újították fel a templomot.
Written sources
Kozár Mária: Felsőszölnök. [Budapest 2000]. Száz magyar falu könyvesháza. 95-102.
Mukics Mária: A magyarországi szlovének. Változó világ 56. Budapest 2003. 10-12.
File name
SM_037_C_0001.jpg; SM_037_C_0002.jpg
Resolution
300 dpi; 300 dpi
Restrictions on use
Korlátozott
Date of documentation
2018-08-30
Person documenting
Mukicsné Kozár Mária

Photo gallery


In case of using any of the materials, citation of the source (www.documenta-pannonica.eu ) and of institution or indvidual by whom the material is located is mandatory.
English
Skip to content