Archive Material

Decree on the demolition of the Murska Sobota Synagogue


The Murska Sobota City People's Committee

1954. 04. 20.


The construction of the Murska Sobota Synagogue began in 1907, the architect being Lipót Baumhorn. It was consecrated on August 31, 1908. According to the Book on the Banat of Drava published in 1939, in 1931 there were 269 Jews living in the Murska Sobota area. Only a few returned to the Prekmurje after the Holocaust. The authorities at the time failed to find a solution for the synagogue; they thought it was too big for the small community. At its meeting on March 25, 1954, the city’s People's Committee adopted a resolution "to demolish the Israeli synagogue because a block of flats is going to be built on the plot". The people of Murska Sobota still call the building the Jewish block.

Information on digitization

Name of site
Murska Sobota
Other settlement names
Muraszombat, Sobota
13 strani
Place of origin/discovery
Murska Sobota
Name of institution or personage holding object; identification number of object
Pokrajinski arhiv Maribor/ Maribori Területi Levéltár SI_PAM/0247 Mestni ljudski odbor Murska Sobota, TE 21, spis 189/54 SI_PAM/0247/009/00049
File name
200 x 200 dpi
Restrictions on use
Brez omejitev
Date of documentation
Person documenting
Ksenija Rojht

Photo gallery

In case of using any of the materials, citation of the source ( ) and of institution or indvidual by whom the material is located is mandatory.
Skip to content