Built Cultural Heritage


St. Nicholas round church in Selo

sacred architecture

The middle of the 13th century

The rotunda (round church) is one of the oldest architectural monuments of the Prekmurje from the middle of the 13th century, named after St. Nicholas. The settlement of Selo (Lak) was first mentioned in written sources in 1340 and 1365 as "seu valle Lak Sancti Nicolai (a Szent Miklós-völgyben)". Today, the rotunda is covered by a round, conical shingle roof with a wooden bell tower. The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes. The first layer of wall paintings was probably made in the first third of the 14th century. Around 1400, large theological scenes were painted on the walls and dome.

Information on digitization

Name of site
Selo
Other settlement names
Nagytótlak
Main building material
brick
Identification number of unit
641
Persons or organizations tied to history of unit of built cultural tradition
TIC Moravske Toplice
Protection status of unit
Spomenik lokalnega pomena
Jurisdiction
Zavod za varstvo kulturne dediščine – enota Maribor
Written sources
Zadnikar, M., 1967. Rotunda v Selu. Murska Sobota: Pomurska založba.

Cerkev sv. Nikolaja v Selu, zloženka, 2015. Moravske Toplice: TIC Moravske Toplice.

Selanska rotunda sv. Nikolaja in Device Marije, zloženka, 2009. Moravske toplice: TIC Moravske Toplice.
Web page
http://www.moravske-toplice.com/pics/contents/SeloRotunda-SLO.pdf
File name
PMMS_107_C_0001
Resolution
300 dpi
Restrictions on use
Brez omejitev
Date of documentation
2019-06-04
Person documenting
Tadeja Andrejek

Photo gallery


In case of using any of the materials, citation of the source (www.documenta-pannonica.eu ) and of institution or indvidual by whom the material is located is mandatory.
English
Skip to content